HNA November 2020 Newsletter
Details on GCSD School Supervisor Search and 2021 Town Budget. More
HNA President Op Ed – November 2019
President of the HNA, Stacy Fisher’s op ed, Why Do Wheels Keep Coming Off Town Board Bus?, from the November 22nd issue of the Scarsdale Inquirer, calls on all Hartsdale residents to be fully engaged in creating a shared vision for Greenburgh. She calls out that, “It is more likely that we can work together if we adopt clear ways of communicating and processes that support real progress.
Odell House Update – November 2019
Please join us at the Greenburgh Public Library on Wednesday, January 15th at 7:00pm for a GPL Local History Series:
Westchester, Washington, and Rochambeau: The Path To Victory
Susan Seal, President and Founder, Friends of Odell House Rochambeau Headquarters, will discuss the historical significance of the old farmhouse on Ridge Rd. in Hartsdale. It played a major role in the Revolutionary War and in American History. Susan will also talk about the exciting new plans to rescue the house and open it to the public.
Wednesday, January 15, 7:00pm – 8:30pm
- Odell House- At a ceremony on July 10th the Town signed a contract with the NY Chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution to take ownership of the historic Odell House at 425 Ridge Rd. Title should pass within the next few weeks.The event was moderated by Susan Seal who is forming a non-profit to assist the Town with fund raising and restoration of the property. Her group, the Friends of Odell House Rochambeau Headquarters, can be reached at email@example.com. It is actively seeking members to help in all aspects of the restoration and news updates will be sent out soon.On July 26th, the Town will submit an application to NY State for a $1.2mm matching grant to do the work. The Town, with the help of the Friends, must contribute half of that amount through other grants, donations and volunteer workers. The work will take a few years but will be completed long before the 250th anniversary of the American Revolution beginning in 2025. Odell House is on the National Register of Historic Places. It is a treasure for Greenburgh and for the country!
- Four Corners Revitalization- Updated 11/18/6
- The Traffic and Stormwater study of the area has begun and AKRF, the firm selected for the study has begun meeting with Town officials and collecting data. We are excited as we continue to move forward!
- You can download a copy of the Draft Study here. Let us know what you think!
- Further details and the ability to join the conversation are on the dedicated Four Corners page. If you have not already signed the petition make sure to do so at the above link.
- Edgemont Incorporation Update- On 5/28/2019, residents from Edgemont submitted their second petition for Incorporation to become Greenburgh’s 7th village. Supervisor deemed that petition invalid and rejected it for not being legally sufficient. The EIC has filed an Article 78 appeal in court and both sides have presented their arguments in paper. We will continue to update on this very important topic.
- Proposed Assisted Living Facility at Maplewood Swim and Tennis on W. Hartsdale Avenue- . The Town recently received a special permit application for a new 115-unit Assisted Living Facility at 202 West Hartsdale Avenue, P.O. Hartsdale and that proposal has been forwarded to the Planning Board. The proposal involves the redevelopment of the site, which exists as a former swim club, to an Assisted Facility use. The project requires the following land-use board approvals: special permit (Town Board), site plan (Town Board, with referral to the Planning Board), steep slope permit (Planning Board), and area variances (Zoning Board of Appeals). The applicant previously appeared before the Town Board at a work session on November 13, 2018, which can be viewed here: http://greenburghny.swagit.com/play/11132018-733
- Some of the concerns raised by Town Board members at that time included pedestrian connectivity (the need for a sidewalk on West Hartsdale Ave to Central Ave), the need for an affordability component, general traffic concerns, and questions regarding the view of the proposed building from surrounding areas. If you have questions or want to be involved email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Elmwood Country Club Property Development
- Ridgewood Realty, the private developer who purchased the Elmwood property with an eye to redevelop it into an Active 55+ Townhome community recently met with the Planning Board. This was despite the fact, that just like 4C, the Town Board has not moved to act on this proposal. Click here to read the Letter to the Editor in the Scarsdale Inquirer by HNA President Eric Zinger on this subject. We believe whether you are for or against the requesting PUD and zoning change, the Town Board should take a position and provide clarity.
- The developer has submitted their plans to the town and met with the Town Planning Board informally in August. It is now pending action from the Town Board to move forward in the process.
- The former Elmwood Country Club has been sold to private real estate developers who are looking to develop the property. The property is currently zoned R-30 which allows for a variety of uses but is most often associated with single family detached homes. The developers have an as-of right to develop the property in this manner if they wish.
- The developer Ridgewood Real Estate Partners would like to see the property rezoned to allow them to build an “Active 55+ Adult community” with townhouses. This would allow them to build a higher density community and increase the number of units on the property. There are many issues at stake here including density, traffic, impact to Greenburgh schools, taxes (single family homes are taxed much higher then condos & townhouses), parkland, and more. It is also important to note that any zoning changes could lay the groundwork for similar projects in the future.
- Click here to see the town work session with the developers.
Make sure you sign up for our email list to stay up to date on all the latest information on this topic. Have something you are interested in or what to know more about? Interested in working with us on one of our initiatives or something you are passionate about? Email us at email@example.com